Ecotourism & Environment | Who we are | Our Commitment & Values | Our Vision | Our Team | Positions Vacant
Straddie Camping, on North Stradbroke Island, offers hundreds of island camping sites overlooking kilometres of white sandy beaches. Our beachside camping grounds offer powered and unpowered sites suitable for tents, camper trailers and caravans, as well as a selection of fully equipped cabins.
Minjerribah Camping Pty Ltd, trading as Straddie Camping is an innovative private enterprise where the Quandamooka People of North Stradbroke Island manage the camping grounds and beaches on the Island which were previously under the management of Redland City Council and operated as Straddie Holiday Parks.
Straddie Camping is a partnership between the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC) as shareholders, trustee and Traditional owners of the land, and Indigenous Business Australia (IBA), a Commonwealth Statutory Authority.
The vision for the Minjerribah Camping project is one in which the Aboriginal community, in partnership with the mainstream community, creates a future where the Island’s spirit, cultural values and the beauty of its lands and seas are conserved and restored. All community members enjoy equal opportunities, working together to shape a healthy and happy future.
Minjerribah Camping is about:
- respecting Aboriginal people's rights to land and country and bridging differences in material and social circumstances;
- real opportunities for Aboriginal people of the Island to manage their land;
- building awareness and appreciation of the environment;
- offering high quality, low impact tourism which is environmentally sustainable;
- maximum local employment and economic development, and;
- lasting partnership between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people in the economic and social future of the island.
Straddie Camping's commitment is to provide its guests with memorable island holiday experiences through recreational, environmental, social and cultural opportunities.
Straddie Camping manages its operation to ensure:
- protection and conservation of its precious beachfront properties and the Island as a whole;
- support of Island businesses and employment of local people;
- reconciliation, fostered by our policies and actions;
- a positive contribution to the economic base of North Stradbroke Island; and
- that guests achieve or exceed their island holiday expectations.
“Straddie Camping will be Australia’s foremost island camping holiday experience, reflecting the spirit, cultural values and beauty of Minjerribah’s lands and seas; and delivering outstanding outcomes for our guests, the Quandamooka people and our community, through quality; service; relationships; profitability and environmental sustainability”.
At Straddie Camping we are committed to delivering a quality nature based camping experience, in a safe, culturally sensitive, and environmentally sustainable manner.
We support the principles of Ecotourism, which is ecologically sustainable tourism with a primary focus on experiencing natural areas that fosters environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation.
The ECO Certification logo is a globally recognised brand, assisting travellers to choose and experience genuine and authentic tour, attraction and accommodation products that are environmentally, socially and economically sustainable. (Ecotourism Australia).
We are eco certified. Straddie Camping is proud to have been awarded Advance Ecotourism certification, Respecting our Culture certificaiton, and Climate Action certification by peak industry body Ecotourism Australia.
The Straddie Camping team is made up of the Quandamooka People, long term North Stradbroke Island residents, and industry leaders in nature based tourism, ecotourism product development and management, and key investors Indigenous Business Australia.